Catamaran 1997 Prout
Off Market since Nov 24th 2022
To see full description of this boat from the seller click on the Seller Description tab above.
"Sunray" is a Prout Manta built in Richards Bay, South Africa and commissioned in October of 1997. The present owners bought and documented her here in the US in 2003. Since then she has been lightly sailed exclusively in the Chesapeake Bay.
The Prout Manta is a reputable, solidly built, and proven long-range cutter cruising design.
If you are looking for a serious offshore catamaran, with a Prout reputation, that is capable of sailing around the world, you should look at "Sunray".
As of 10/5/2020, Sunray has been hauled and fresh bottom paint applied as well as having her topsides compounded and waxed, and outdrive serviced. She will be heading back to the water and ready to sail south with her next owner. Pictures, as of this date, have been added to the listing showing her fresh bottom, outdrive, huge custom swim platform, all the hatches she has for wonderful ventilation, plus the opening windshields for the cockpit hardtop. This is a stout vessel that should not be overlooked! She is located in Lusby, MD and available by appointment only.
This designs lends to a comfortable live-aboard layout, with high standing headroom throughout. The Main salon consists of a large U-shaped dinette with swiveling dining table and ample seating for six (there is an extension to seat 8). She has bright white oak and Melamine trim throughout, 4 recessed LED lights, TV, liquor cabinet, air conditioning and extensive vented storage lockers and an audio/radio with 4 speakers..
The starboard hull has a large separate galley down. Forward is a single berth with wash basin as well as access to an additional athwartship single berth that is forward of the salon dinette. Aft is a double berth stateroom with 3 opening hatches, fan, reading lights, mirrors, wash basin, closets.
The Port hull has an other double stateroom also with 3 opening hatches, fan, reading lights, mirrors, wash basin and closet. Walking forward one will find the large navigation station with full size chart table as well as abundant storage. Forward is a large head with shower, washbasin and PAR ITT head with Y-valve. (holding tank located under the foredeck).
Her cockpit is quite large and has a custom Hardtop bimini with hard dodger. A unique, custom designed, retractable teak/stainless steel swim platform between the side hulls aft. A solid foredeck not only adds to her strength but also adds storage, an anchor locker and ease in getting around the boat.
– Her galley runs along the starboard hull but is not closed off from the salon. There is plenty of counter and cabinet space for food preparation and storage. Double sinks with hot and cold water
– 2 burner propane stove with oven
– "Sharp" Microwave
– Large front opening refrigerator
– Slide-out top loading "Engel" freezer (12V and 120V)
– PUR Survivor 35 watermaker (installed but not currently commissioned)
– North fully battened mainsail with "Lazy Jacks" and blue Sunbrella sail cover
– North 135% Genoa with UV cover
– North staysail with UV cover
– Cruising Gennaker/drifter with sleeve
– Forspar Gennaker aluminum extension pole
– Harken roller furling for the genoa headsail
– Pro furl roller furling for the staysail
– All sheets, reefing and halyards lead back to the cockpit
– 4 Self-tailing double action Lewmar winches - 2 #46 and 2 #30
Electronics, Electrical and Mechanical
– Raytheon ST-6000 instruments
– Hydraulic steering with Autohelm auto-pilot controls linked to dual rudder steering
– Garmin GPS map182 color chart plotter
– Furuno 1720 Radar (being checked for repairs)
– Hummingbird Fish Finder wide-128
– Horizon HX-3503 VHF
– IC-M56 - Icom M-502 VHF in cockpit
– Icom M-6000 single side band HF marine transceiver with tuner linked to insulated backstay antenna
– TEAC audio/radio tuner with 4 speakers (salon and cockpit)
– House batteries; 6 - 6volt 160 amp.hr "Premium West Marine" deep cycle gel batteries linked in series.
– 1 AGM starting battery
– Three solar panels (@75 watts each) with "Sunforce" 30amp controller
– Shore power 120Volt connection socket with cord
– Xantex Prosine 2.0 inverter/charger
– 12V and 120V circuit breaker panels and outlets.
– Yanmar diesel aux. engine, Model 3HM35 - 34HP year 1997
– Silette Sonic fully retractable, down-leg drive
– 3 blade prop with variable directional steering
– Racor fuel filter
– High power double belted 120amps alternator
– "NEXTGEN" UCM i-3.5 kilowatt diesel marine generator (New Oct. 2017)
Her single dsl engine is an excellent design with a steerable outdrive that is able to be lifted to prevent drag while sailing as well as easy removal of debris, crab pots etc.
Professionally serviced and maintained in Solomons, MD.
Fuel consumption; approx. 1/2 gal per hr. @ 6 knots.
Deck, Rigging and Hull Equipment
Proven "Prout" ocean cruising designed cutter rig with furling head sails. Solid fiberglass hull and a custom designed stern mounted retractable swim platform. Retractable stainless steel swim ladder. Rigid fiberglass bimini cover. Large cockpit seating six comfortably with folding table. Captain's chair (removable). Forward windshield windows open
– 12 Lewmar hatches with screens provide excellent ventilation throughout the interior
– Aluminum deck mounted mast
– Double spreaders
– Mast steps
– 14 stainless shrouds and stays
– Double Stainless steel rails with double life lines all round the boat
– 3 boarding gates (bow, stern, and starboard)
– Stern boarding steps (STB side)
– Navigation lights
– Mast head combination tricolor and anchor light
– foredeck flood light
– Large mooring cleats (including 2 mid-ship cleats)
– Hard rubber rub rail
– Full solid foredeck with two large lazarettes for fenders, extra anchors/rodes, including self-draining propane locker
– Stainless steel dinghy davits
– Apex 8.5 rigid double floor inflatable dinghy
– Magma barbecue grill
– 2 electric bilge pumps with manual override options
– Bruce 44lb main anchor with approx. 120' 3/8" HT BBB chain
– 45lb genuine CQR anchor with chain and rode
– Fortress FX 23 anchor with chain and rode
– Self-draining chain locker
– Lewmar electric anchor windlass with deck foot switches and hand remote
– Nylon 3/4" anchoring bridle
– Foredeck anchor wash-down Blaster
– Stern anchor pulpit/roller for Mediterranean style anchoring
– Storm sea drogue with 300' 3/4" warp (3 strand line) and swival
There are extensive spare parts for "Yanmar" engine and "Sonic Silette" down leg. Extra mooring lines and safety equipment, including life jackets, 3 chemical fire extinguishers, ships bell and horn.
What Makes a Catamaran a Catamaran? Are Catamarans Faster & Safer Than Monohulls? Read more in our guide. What Makes a Catamaran a Catamaran? Are Catamarans Faster & Safer Than Monohulls? Can You Sail a Catamaran Solo? What Are Our Favorite Catamaran Brands? Read more in our guide.
Find out about different sailboat types, most popular sailboat brands and more in our comprehensive sailboat guide. Find out about different sailboat types, sail vs power boat, most popular sailboat brands, what do you need to own a sailboat and more in our comprehensive sailboat guide.