Motorsailers 1970 Sam L. Morse listed by Preferred Yachts (Off Market)
To see full description of this boat from the seller click on the Seller Description tab above.
1970 Lyman-Morse John Alden Hawksbill Motorsailer 58ft
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Model:John Alden Hawksbill Motorsailer
Hull Material; Fiberglass
Hull Shape: Displacement
DESCRIPTION 1970 Lyman-Morse John Alden Hawksbill Motor Sailor Rare John Alden Designed Fiberglass Motor Sailor - Timeless Elegance
Originally designed as a gentleman's fishing yacht, this is a nautical piece of art. She was created by on of the greatest yacht architects of all time and built by some of the finest craftsmen in Maine. She is both robust and refined. Over the years Arabella has been well maintained and updated to ensure that she is still the impressive yacht she is today.
Get ready for the cameras to come out when Arabella arrives. Her beautiful classic lines and distinct flair makes her a true head turner. A rare findin today's market of mass produced boats.
195 HP Commercial Grade Big Cam Cummins Engine (200 hrs SMOH)
4000 Nautical Mile Range
Immense Living Space perfect for a Family
1"Thick Fiberglass and Foam Insulated Hull
Meticulously Maintained by Experienced Owners
Impressive Living Space with Three Staterooms, Two Heads and So Much More!
Cruise in style aboard Arabella, a classic motor sailer built to commercial grade standards. Originally designed as a gentleman’s fishing yacht, this nautical piece of artwork, has been continuously well maintained and updated over the years by its stuarts to the impressive yacht she is today. Get ready for the cameras to come out when Arabella arrives. Her beautiful classic lines, distinct flair and uniqueness are a real head turner.
With fuel capacity of 2,100 gallons, she has a nautical range of 4,000 miles under power. She will cruise at 9-10 knots at a comfortable 1400 rpms. Cruise the entire Bahamas, or cruise to South America and back without the need to stop for fuel along the way. No more taking on bad or overpriced fuel in questionable marinas in foreign ports. Arabella’s commercial grade, fully mechanical 195HP Cummins 850 big cam engine was removed, rebuilt and reinstalled in December 2020. 850 big cams are efficient, very powerful in the biggest of seas, and are used on commercial fishing trawlers around the world. She will not let you down.
Stay dry and comfortable in any seas, securely seated in the fully enclosed flybridge, complete with reclining captain's chair and Dometic drink refrigerator. The visibility from the flybridge cannot be beat with full 360 degree, elevated views. A second, inside and air-condition helm station will provide comfort on very hot or cold days as well as in big seas. It’s an nice feature to have when the weather does no want to cooperate.
Relax and entertain in comfort in the covered spacious aft cockpit, featuring teak decking, fold down teak table and ergonomically designed and reclining teak chairs. Double sliding doors provide access to the salon, and since everything is on the same level, there is no climbing up and down stairs in the companion way. It is a fantastic platform while underway, docked or anchored in a favorite getaway spot.
The galley is a chef’s dream. 12v refrigeration and freezer, maintained by twin solar panels on the flybridge hardtop, are very large and are designed to hold provisions for months. The new propane range and oven are a pleasure to cook on. A stainless steel hood vent with fan exhaust to the exterior of the yacht are a recent addition. A house-sized galley sink, new kitchen faucet with sprayer, soap dispenser and filtered water dispenser will spoil you with features you are accustomed to back on land. A custom built, folding teak table in the galley provides more counter surface and makes a great spot to eat a casual meal for two.
Get a great night’s rest by anchoring in the premium spots with Arabella's 4’10” shoal draft keel. By being able to tuck in close with her shallow draft, Arabella can anchor protected from the waves and rolliness found in many cruising anchorages.
With a 49-foot mast height, easily cruise up and down the Intracoastal Waterway from New York to Florida and even through the Okeechobee Waterway from Florida’s East coast to West coast.
If you are planning on cruising with children, the midship cabin is setup with bunks that double as classroom benches complete with a custom built, framed and reversible 3 x 5 foot whiteboard or global nautical map. During construction, at what is now the world renowned yacht builder Lyman-Morse, Arabella’s solid fiberglass hull was spray foam insulated prior to joinery work being installed. This is a fantastic feature as it insulates the boat from noise and the elements. Arabella is nearly sound proof underway and at noisy anchorages. The insulation along with her 3 A/C and heating systems keeps the yacht chilled on the hottest of days and toasty warm on cold days. Furthermore, the insulation stops the hull from sweating, eliminating moisture and mold growth on the cabin walls.
Arabella’s power plant is a newer 9.5kw Kohler genrator in a sound box. She is quiet, efficient and most importantly reliable. Arabella holds over 350 gallons of fresh water. With a 40 gallon per hour watermaker aboard, you can do away with rationing freshwater. Enjoy unlimited showers, laundry, dishes and cooking cleanup, and even rinse the entire boat down with freshwater after every sail at sea, an unimaginable luxury on traditional saying yachts. All tankage (fuel, water and holding tank) are built-in, thick walled fiberglass tanks. It is a solid, leakproof and odor free system that has withstood the test of time. The 70 gallon holding tank can be emptied in 3 ways: through a deck plate, electric overboard macerator pump at sea, or manually with a gusher pump.
Other key features include, on deck trouble-free and secure dinghy storage for any kind of seas, 1000lbs windlass for easy anchoring, swim platform for easy boarding from the dock, dinghy, swimming or accidental man overboard, washer/dry combo with vented exhaust, 2 full-sized power Raritan heads, jack and jill shower, lighted closets, full pantry closet and enormous storage throughout. Arabella was designed for long distance cruising. As a result, most systems have multiple backups so that the failure of one system does not become disastrous while underway and ruin your trip or worse, become hazardous. She is truly a yacht designed to efficiently and safely take you anywhere you want to go... in style.
A rare find in todays market of mass produced boats, Arabella harkens back to the days of solidly built yachts capable of traveling around the world in safety, comfort and economically. Originally built to go to sea and hunt for Swordfish Arabella still has the dual crows nests mounted on the mast. What was once used to scan for Swordfish and Tuna, can now be used to look for the perfect hidden cove where you can drop anchor and relax. Ruggedly built yet elegant and stylish, Arabella is one of only two Fiberglass Hawksbills ever built. Her classic John Alden designed hull cuts through the seas with ease. The full keel with protected prop and robust rudder system provide peace of mind when traveling in uncharted waters. Powered by an economical 195 HP Cummins diesel with just 200 hour SMOH, Arabella will cruise at 9 -10 knots and has a potential range of 4000 nautical miles.
Upgrades and Improvements
2021 Cummins 855 complete engine rebuild
2021 Replaced all starter battery cabling
2021 Replaced Cutlass bearing
2017 Installed Sideshift stern thruster
2017 Replaced dry stack exhaust
2018 Replaced wet exhaust
2018 Replaced two stainless steel wash down spigots
2017 Installed shore water valve
2017 Cockpit Sunbrella cover
2017 Stainless steel sliding door handles
2017 Installed Flatscreen TV
2020 Installed Rugable washable rugs
2017 Installed high-water alarm
2018 Installed Range cover with blower motor
2021 Rub rail removed and resealed
2020 Replaced range and oven
2020 Replaced galley faucet and hardware
2017 Installed fold-down galley teak table
2017 Enlarged master cabin bunk to queen size
2018 Replaced Shower Sump pump
2017 Enlarged toilet bowls to house size
2019 Manufacturers rebuild of Raritan head
2019 Installed separate head water fill and flush buttons
2017 Replaced closet lighting
2017 Replaced all bunk reading lamps
2018 Replaced charger for windlass battery bank
2019 Installed 3 8D house batteries and 1 8D starter battery
2017 Replaced prop-shaft
2018 Replaced port and starboard engine room blower motors
2017 Installed LED lighting in engine room
2019 Installed pantry shelving in midship cabin
2019 Replaced freshwater heater $
2019 Replaced master cabin AC/heater
2019 Sanded and painted AC vents/returns
2018 Installed retractable depth/fish finder
2020 Installed 600 sq/ft genoa
2020 Installed Stainless steel cockpit winches
2018 Installed spinnaker halyard and block
2018 Installed ratlines and mast steps
2017 Replaced sacrificial sun covers on sails
2018 Replaced flybridge helm seat
2017 Installed cockpit table and chairs
2017 Rebuilt gusher pump
2021 3-stage hull buff and wax
2021 New bottom paint and hardware
2018 Replace flybridge Cummins instrument cluster
Arabella features an impressive open layout with an expansive salon leading onto the huge aft deck. Configured on the same level this large living space means everyone will have plenty of room. Forward and down two steps is a proper Galley on the starboard side. To port is a good sized double bed stateroom with ensuite Head and Shower. Forward of the galley are two bunk staterooms. A second Head with shower is located next to the forward stateroom.
– Main Stateroom with Double Bed, Hanging Lockers and Cabinet drawers.
– Ensuite Head with Raritan Electric Toilet and Jack and Jill shower Stall
– Forward Stateroom with Over / Under Bunks, Hanging Locker and Drawers
– Forward Head with Raritan Electric Toilet. Shower is shared with Main SR Head
– Opening Ports In Each Stateroom
– Midship Stateroom with Over / Under Bunks and access to Head
– L Shaped Leather Sofa / Settee Forward on Port Side
– Coffee Table
– Two Reclining Scandia Chairs with Foot Rests
– Lower Helm Forward on the Starboard Side
– Teak Sliding Salon Doors
– Teak Sliding Screened Doors
– Overhead Teak Hand Railing
– Durable Flooring with Rugs
– 3 Air Conditioning Units, with Reverse Cycle Heat
– Splendide Washer Dryer Combo in Cabinet
– Weems and Plath Barometer and Clock with Tide
– 4 x Bronze Sconce Lamps
– Hitachi TV
– Beadboard Ceiling Panels
– 6' 5" Headroom in Salon
– 6" 3" Headroom in Cabins
Engine and Mechanical Equipment
Note: * In 2021 the Engine was removed from the vessel and was fully inspected, completely rebuilt and re installed in the boat. 200 Hours on the rebuild. Total hours prior to the rebuild are not known.
– 1989 Cummins 195 HP Engine , 6 Cylinders Naturally Aspirated
– 9 - 10 knots @1400 RPM (4000 nautical mile range under power)
– 200 Hours Since Major Over Haul SMOH in 2021
– 4 Blade 30" Bronze Propeller
– Racor 500MA Fuel / Water Separator Primary
– Dual Racor 1000 Fuel / Water Separators with Pressure Gauges
– Engine Driven Bilge Pump
– Racor 1000 Fuel Polishing System with 12 V Reverso Pump
– Manual Oil Change Pump
– Kohler 9.5 KW Generator i n Solid Sound Shield (3000 hours)
– 40 GPH Water Maker
– Wagner Hydraulic Steering System
– Stern Thruster on bracket to lift above water line to prevent algae growth
– 4 Fiberglass Fuel Tanks with a total of 2100 Gallons. Two Tanks are located in the engine bay and two additional tanks are located under the cockpit sole
Navigation and Helm Stations
Upper Helm at Flybridge
The Upper Helm provides a full 360 degree view.
– Captains Chair
– Garmin Color 740 GPS Plotter.
– Furuno Navnet Radar
– Simrad AP20 Roberson Autopilot Controls
– Standard Horizon Quest VHF Radio
– Fish Finder with Depth
– Fusion Stereo Control
– Danforth Constellation 8" Compass with SS Binnacle
– Lev O Gage
– Cup Holders
– Garmin Color 740 GPS Chartplotter Fish Finder
– Furuno Navnet Radar
– Simrad AP20 Robertson Autopilot Controls
– Standard Horizon Omni VHF Radio
– Ritchie Constellation 6" Compass
– ICOM IC718 Hi Frequency SSB Receiver w/ Insulated Backstay Antenna
– Multimode Pactor Controller for SSB
– 110V Electrical Panel
– 12V Electrical Panel
– 9.5KW Kohler Generator in Solid Box 3000 hours
– 2 x 50 Amp Connections; Port side and Starboard
– 50' 50 Amp Shore Power Cord
– GFI Outlets
– 12V LED Lighting
– 12V Pro Mariner Battery Charger for House Bank
– 3x 8D Deep Cycle House Batteries
– 1 x Start Battery for Generator
– 1 x 8D 12V Deep Cycle Engine Start Battery
– Xantrex 12V Battery Charger for Starting Battery and Windlass Batteries
– 2 x 225 Watt Solar Panels
– MPPT Solar Charging Controller
– IDEAL Electric 24V Bronze Anchor Windlass w/ Rode and Chain Gypsies
– Windlass Foot Control
– 3 Zone Air Conditioning System
– Aft Deck Flood Lights
– 12V Spreader Lights
– 3x 12V Electric and Manual Bilge Pumps
– High Water Bilge Alarm
– Guest Galvanic Isolator
– Splendid 210 XC Clothes Washer/Dryer
A true working Galley with plenty counter space and an impressive Refrigeration and Freezer system. Here you have room and the equipment to cook those gourmet meals.
– 20 Cubic ft. Frigiboat 12V Stainless Steel Front Loading Fridge with Water Cooled Keel.
– 10 Cubic ft Frigiboat 12V Stainless Steel Front Loading Freezer with Water Cooled Keel
– 3 Burner Princess Propane Stove with Oven
– 12V Exhaust Vent above Stove
– Trident Propane Control
– 2 x 20 LBS Propane Tanks (in Vented Deck Box)
– Large Sink with Faucet and Spigot Filter
– Hot and Cold Fresh Water with Accumulator Tank
– Cruise RO 40 GPH Water Maker with Fresh Water Flushing System
– 11 Gallon SS Hot Water Tank
– Cabinet Storage
Deck and Hull
Arabella is blessed with a distinctive profile and deck layout. Her aft cockpit is an exceptional space with high gunwales and a protected canvas top. Side decks are wide enough for access to the forward deck area. Here you will find a stainless steel Dinghy Cradle. Forward is the striking bow sprit with anchor windlass and ground tackle.
The Flybridge is accessed via a stainless steel ladder sloped at a easy to climb angle. Here you will find Bench seating and a comfortable centerline helm seat. The fully instrumented helm is protected by a Hard Top and soft sided enclosure with clear windows.
– Custom Fiberglass Hard Top
– Full Enclosure with Lexan Window Panels
– Port and Starboard Bench Settees with Storage and Cushions
– Aft Settee with large 12V Refrigerator Underneath
– Pompanette Helm Chair with Swivel and Foot Reat
– Full Instrumentation
– Aluminum Helm Wheel
– Robust and Solid 1" Thickness Fiberglass Hull
– Fully insulated Hull during Construction reducing noise and hull sweating
– Fully Keel with Protected Prop and Rudder
– Fiberglass Decks Painted with Awlgrip (2013) Cream Color
– Hull Sides Painted in Awlgrip (2013) White Color
– Tinted Salon Windows. Forward Window protected by a Mesh Cover
– 6 Lewmar Overhead Hatches (Replaced in 2013)
– 8 Bronze Opening Ports
– Overhead Opening Hatch over Forward Stateroom
– Teak Dining Table in Cockpit with 4 Folding Teak Chairs
– Cockpit Awning over Aft Deck with Aluminum Frame
– Teak Cockpit Sole and Coamings . Coamings are High for added safety.
– Cockpit Lazarette Storage
– Transom Door
– Stainless Steel Swim Platform with Teak Grates
– 2 x Rod Holders
– Railings with Lifeline
– Stainless Steel Hand Rails
– 7 ' Bow Sprit with Double Anchor Rollers
– 66 LB Plow Anchor with 10' 5/8" Chain and 300' Rode
– 23 LB Plow Anchor with 10' 5/8" Chain and 200' Rode
– IDEAL 12V Anchor Windlass with Rode and Chain Gypsies
– Bronze Sampson Post
– Aft Deck Shower
– Aft Deck Wash Down Systems
– Fresh Water Hook Up in Cockpit
– Water Tank Gauges
– Large Salon Sliding Doors and Separate Teak Sliding Screen Doors
– Deck Box on Forward Deck
– Note: Dinghy and Outboard do not convey with the boat
Please contact Bo Brown at 727 408-1027
Find out about different sailboat types, most popular sailboat brands and more in our comprehensive sailboat guide. Find out about different sailboat types, sail vs power boat, most popular sailboat brands, what do you need to own a sailboat and more in our comprehensive sailboat guide.